Thursday, July 21, 2005

Definition of Nation!

I was having lunch with a gorgeous girl yesterday who was so kind enough to remember that my Asterix and Obelix collection was incomplete during her holidays and she brought them for me. I was really touched and ecstatic because it is quite difficult to get them. And I am really grateful to her. She is a cutie, believe me.

We were talking of lots of things and the topic veered towards definition of nation, national identity and patriotism. It was quite an interesting & insightful chat. Before you read further, do note that I am not here to label a particular group or country or citizens as un-patriotic or less connected. I ask you to keep an open mind.

What is a nation? Are all countries nations? How does one define nation and national identity? How does a reasonable person become a raging patriot to defend his or her nation? To provide an example, I put myself the same questions. For those who know me, I think it’s safe to say that I am quite patriotic and well connected to my roots and secure in my identity. Therefore, I believe as a test subject, I would be qualified to answer the queries.

A nation is not just a country with its current economic indicators, GDP and how many internet connections per 1000 it has, and how it ranks in the World chart of economic freedoms. A nation is defined by its history, its past troubled and otherwise, its contribution to humankind and finally the acceptance of its people as to who they are. A nation is when its people would define themselves as being a citizen of the nation and honoring the pledge especially when it comes to crunch time.

I am an Indian. I was born, and bred in India. I grew up learning about the sacrifices my forefather’s made. I learnt from a young age the battles fought by freedom fighters both violent and non-violent. In the end, it was the non-violent action that eventually gained us our freedom. The history of my nation begins from the Indus valley civilization, to the great Mughal rulers like Babur, Akbar, Shah Jahan, the battles of Panipat, Kalinga and in modern history, the sepoy mutiny, the Jallianwala Bagh massacre and finally the most painful period in our history, the partition and loss of millions of lives was taught in pain staking details. Looking back, the objective as a kid was just to get through the history tests and not look sad. But as I grew up I realized the importance of small things. Like the national anthem, the pledge of allegiance which sounded silly when we were young but started to make sense as you grew older. I admit the fact that we have given rise to some strange rituals like throwing a widow in the funeral pyre of her husband (thankfully outlawed today) to some fantastic rituals like the Kamasutra, yoga, and great food like dosa and butter chicken masala just to name a few.

I loath our politicians. Most of them scum of earth. Money will get you everywhere and the richer you are the easier to get away with blue murder. The gap between the rich and poor is so wide that you can fill an ocean in between. The population is exploding. Cities are fucked up. Traffic is out of control as there are no traffic rules. You have to ensure your insurance is up to date before you venture out in your car or motorcycle. Public transportation is non existent. You have people pissing & crapping anywhere. Spitting is actually cool. We have religious conflicts. We have Hindu right wing monsters gunning for the heads of Muslims, trying their best to stifle freedom of expression, limiting tolerance to others. Students taking part in violent strikes are a norm. Burning buses is actually a sport. Today’s youth are misguided with visions of MTV and Mallika Sherawat (a bollywood sex siren who is so hot when partially clothed, its unbelievable). The ballooning Call Center industry is making the current generation gain fake accents to attend to calls from world over. Did I make my country’s description sad & pathetic enough? I hope so.

Because despite all the above, I am never going to abandon it. I WILL still stand on the roof and say “Mera Bharath Mahaan” translation “My India is the greatest”. My national identity is forged in me in my growing years. My economic needs have made me seek my fortunes outside of my country, but I am damn sure one day I will return. The one’s who know me well enough know of my plans for a beach bar in India. A frivolous pursuit but yet meaningful to me. I have not forgotten that despite its flaws, it’s a place which has given me a purpose in life, an identity, a rich history that will take a millennia to figure out, and where cricket is not a sport but a religion.

One day if there is a conflict, will I abandon everything that I have and built to fulfill my duty as a citizen to my nation? YES. Do you think I am stupid, irrational and blowing smoke? Maybe. But it would not change my reaction.

Of course, I am quite secure in the knowledge that we are not going to look for a fight. To some extent I still believe the wisdom of my forefather’s still prevails in some sensible heads.

No comments: