Thursday, March 16, 2006

V For Vendetta


I had to digress for one post in order to talk about this movie "V for Vendetta". Natalie Portman (Queen Amidala) and Hugo Weaving (Mr. Smith) star in it. So much for the actors.

What amazed me was the absolute brutal representation of todays world which seems to resonate in every frame. Although most of us have not seen the horrors or the unpleasant realities of life, I must say this movie disturbed me to a large extent. When does a Freedom Fighter become a terrorist? When does a well meaning goverment become a dictatorial regime? When does hope for better days turn to despair? This movie is going to rile the Neo Conservatives (George Bush and Co) to no end. Its as if the writers took pains to draw parallels not by using images in todays context but employing powerful metaphorical comparisons which the audience has no choice but to look around the real world. Talk about putting a gun to your head and force you to nod your head. Phew!

Why am I even bothering to write about this? The ones who know me find me quite non political except for some loose comments about Dick Cheney, Rumsfeld and George W. Other than that I dont give a rats ass. Its not like I come from a country where politicians are so fucking great. And hence I really dont bother. Its is quite possible because of where I live. A secure shielded enviroment where your only concern is how do make it on time to the next party. Or lets try and get the cheapest ticket to Bali or some place where we can enjoy a cool drink. A life that easy must have some consequences sometime down the road. But you know, I am too scared to think about it. I raise my hat to those who spend time to do charity work, building house, going to unimaginable places because you feel you need to give back to the world. Selflessness has never been a trait in me and I would hardly think it would come so easily.

If I take an example of North Korea and transplant the movie in its realm, what would be the outcome? We know the dude is a whacko! I mean do we really know he's whacko! Well, people starving while he is taking long distance train rides only shows that. Why is that ONE man is able to paralyze an entire nation. Our parents always taught us that there is strength in numbers. So are we saying that if there is a tyrannical army of million, I need 3 million to march against them? Is the result that simple? We have hordes of nations saying that democracy is the way to go. Its the only form of governance where rulers are elected and the government is "For, By and of" the people. So when Hamas (you know them, dudes are experts in getting gullible youngsters and women to blow themselves to paradise or to bits. I will not even go there) actually gets elected not by threat of violance and intimidation but by democratic means, it just stopped all brain activity in all those people. They must have gone "What were people thinking?". And then you cant even shout foul because its exactly what you asked for. A democratic election. And if you say foul then you become a bare faced hypocrite. Essensce of democracy is that it does not elect someone based on the fact that if they are good or bad. Take India. I swear to god some of the politicians have a horde of murder and kidnap cases and they even contest while serving their sentence. They actually get elected. So do we invalidate the election. You cant! By rule of law, its right. By rule of life, its right.

My countries history bears the truth that independence and freedome can be achieved without blood shed and violence. But are those same idealogies and principles valid and workable today. Would Gandhi have been able to mobilise massess the way he mobilised 60 years ago? Or we would be more concerned on where to make the next buck to realize that freedom is not given or granted but its a birthright.

One thing I am sure is this. This movie is going to kick a lot of people in thier collective balls. I can already envision all those talk show gas bags going nuts on the air either dissing or praising this movie. Throw in a few bawdy jokes by Jay Leno and David Letterman, we come to a complete circle.

I dont know about you, folks! But this is one movie that really got my goat and hence my "4 seconds" of raving and ranting. And I feel quite gratified I wrote this. Now, let me get on with my continuation of what I am supposed to do.

No comments: