Sunday, August 06, 2006

Amolika's Naming Ceremony - Some Pictures


A few friends were wondering what's the deal about the naming ceremony. Its a cultural thing. In my culture, naming a baby is very important. And there is an elaborate ceremony for this. The new parents have to perform some religious rites, write the baby's name in wheat and whisper the new name into the baby's ears. The father, mother, uncle (that's me), grandfather, cousins, well wishers all do this. Oh! And you ought to give cash gifts. I am telling you, my neice is a rich kid and she is hardly 5 weeks only. I guess pampering a new born especially the first in the line is always given.

The day starts very early. My BIL (Brother-in-law) gets ready, wears his veshti (silk sarong equivalent used in important religions functions). The priest walks my BIL through the initial phases where there is lot of invocations a whole caboodle of gods. From experience, you all know of my constant reference to 9000 gods in my culture. And the ladies of the house are dressed to the nines. My sister, looking radiant as ever, was even more resplendent with the glow of new motherhood. And my BIL is a star and champ for embarking on this chapter of life. Good luck, bro!

From the left, my mom's youngest sister from Kuwait, my cousin's wife, my mom's second sister, my sister and my BIL's older sister

As usual my sister is giving some inputs to the entire proceedings.








Some ceremonial items. The copper pot contains water which will be "holified" and then sprinkled on all people as blessings. Coconuts play a very important role in ceremonial events. I am not sure of significance except that it is cosidered holy and auspicious to use coconuts as part of offerings.





More ceremonial duties being performed.













This is me holding Amolika before I give her back to her parents. You have no idea of the people hovering around me considering I do not have experience of holding small babies. She has not yet started WAILING! And man! the kid can be vocal about it. You will see a couple of pictures soon with her vocal chords in action.







Mom checking out her darling daughter before taking possession.














Comfortably perched on her mom's lap!











Proud parents and grandfather. My dad is so happy to have a granddaughter. I tell you the old man has now focus attention on her. Hooray for me!












Kiddo is getting theerthum. Its sacred water.

No comments: