Sunday, August 06, 2006

Hyderabad - The City of Biryani and Bangles

Hyderabad. A City that is 400 years old. Historical, monumental and caught in a frenzy of upward development. Good roads, brutal traffic, 1230 PM curfew for pubs, 24 hour biryani joints, "I know someone so dont mess with me" works, sky rocketing real estate and irani tea.

I had gone home for couple of weeks to celebrate the arrival and naming ceremony of my niece. I think you will all agree that she is a cutie. Noisy! but cute. I hung out with my friends, got a taste of great food (both at home and outside), hads lots of alcohol at pubs, homes, clubs (like Orchid Country Club types not a night club). The weather was perfect. A cool 26-27 during the day and a very nice 21 in the evening. It was the beginning of monsoon season and hence the weather was not hot. I have not been to Hyderabad in July in over 10 years. So I was initially apprehensive about going in July. I was mistaken. I did not roast and die. In fact, I enjoyed the weather.

Hyderabadi Biryani is unlike any that you would have had outside of Hyderabad. Its famous for the way its cooked and the side dishes that accompany it. A truly gastronimical feast that cannot be verbally described. Its a stimulant for all the taste buds one which will keep you burping with satisfaction. By the way, burping is perfectly acceptable method of providing complement to the host. Its a true sign that the food was really tasty and you ate your hearts fill with happiness. It may be disgusting from a courtesey point of view, but its a very strong expression of satisfaction.

Hyderbad is also well know for its bangles. As like biryani, the citi is also popular for its bangle bazaar or chudi (bangle) bazaar. Not a place I would want to go. I mean can you imagine a street full of bangle shops and a million gaggle of women. No thank you! I will wait in the car.

Irani tea is tea made iranian style. Thick and creamy, its not for the faint hearted. Its laced with sugar and has the mixed taste of tea and sweetness. Many a snack ends with a irani chai (tea). As students we used "cut" the tea. Basically, instead of drinking one whole cup, you share the tea. So you will order "by 2" means one cup of tea split into two. Or "2 by 3". You get the picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried Irani tea but I sure would love to one day. I would also like to try that Hyderabadi Biryani stuff, you make it sound so delicious.